Monday, February 08, 2010

The Smell Check



Most of us get nostalgic with smell. The way poets and romanticists describe the smell of earth with the first drizzle kissing it is quite cliched. It is this sense that we are most conscious of and first react to. While you pass by a garbage truck you instantaneously tend to close your nose. When you have a bad stomach and tend be on a gaseous high, you are conscious about the fact that someone would spot you spoiling the atmosphere. And some people when they pass air in company wickedly pass the blame onto others.

Just like animals respond to pheromones, we too are a victim of our nose. We unconsciously hate farters. We unconsciously drown in perfume before a date. More than looks it is smell that's a huge turn on. Its a matter of prestige too.Suppose your dream partner came before you, and you discover that he or she smelt like unwashed socks, I am sure your dreams would change. According to a recent survey, most men and women rated body odour as the biggest turn off they found in their partner. It is the sense of smell that makes the food we eat appetizing. If a rotten egg smelt like a rose, we wouldn't be hating rotten eggs. Instead we'd have rotten egg perfumes and soaps. Spa's would make u bathe in rotten egg. Now let me come to the point here.The sense of smell plays a very important role in our lives. More than the sense of touch, or hearing we pay a lot of attention to the sense of smell. At least I do.

It is because of my hyper-sensitized nose, I find it terribly difficult to travel by the local MTC buses. When I was a child, I remember getting squeezed under stinky arm pits and storms of sweat.(It is more disgusting to be in such situations than to read it. So stop getting disgusted now.)I wished the government would install air fresheners in buses instead of radios and boards with some random job advertisement. So thereafter, I decided to take share autos, which is the next best and inexpensive alternative to the buses. The good and bad thing about share autos is you always, get a seat but many times you get a seat next to human skunks. Thank god their arms were down and I wouldn't have to face the hideous experience again. But there was this particular day, I don't recall which day it was, but a sexy guy got into the share auto. When I say sexy, he was tall, wheatish, had the perfect nose, cute black eyes,and silky hair. He wore a swatch on his right wrist. He wore Ray ban sunglasses and look little bit like Shahid Kapoor. I am sure if he had a six pack or something close, he could easily qualify as the hottest model and walk the ramp on on Lakme fashion week. He looked drop dead handsome. It was love at first sight. The moment he entered the share auto and sat next to me I was flattered.

The good thing about share autos is when cute guys get in you can sit close to them. There is a good excuse, always the space is too less.The moment this guy got into the share auto, the air was filled with an aroma. It wasn't the usual Axe effect that filled the air. This fragrance was soothing and gentle.I thought to myself " No wait this was a familiar smell. Shit it was damn familiar." I tried recalling what it was. Oh Boy!! Sitting next me was a hot guy, who smelt great. More than a good enough reason to dream. He got off at a stop before mine. The aroma still filled the air. I tried hard racking my brains. The aroma was way too familiar. Then it struck me. Damn!! It was Davidoff strawberry perfume. The hot guy ..oops the hot gay next to me used a woman's perfume. Damn!!! And I was all happy to be sitting next to him. I just wished my brain had recalled the smell a bit faster.

1 comment:

Simply said...

Great blog! Very interesting.