Sunday, February 21, 2010

Random thoughts

The most annoying conversation at home begins when your mom starts building plans about your wedding, and the worst of all is when she tells you her thoughts about your bridegroom. So the other day my mom said " In another two years I want to be done with all my responsibilities." I thought to myself, wtf my mom would force me to love some random guy. It seemed disgusting when I thought of it in this manner. But it looked better when I thought of a wedding as the coming together of two families and the beginning of a new bond. I just told her " Amma,I am too immature to handle all this now." and simply walked away.

I do find myself immature or unconditional. What if I found the priest (Hindu priests don't wear shirts )hot and winked at him during my wedding. That would be most scandalous thing to happen at a wedding for sure. Or what if I found my real soul mate in another soul after my wedding? Why should it be scandalous if I was smitten by a guy at my office or at the bar or at some random place. It would be close to a crime if I dated another man after my wedding. Why should it be unfair? The universal truth about love is it that love isn't conditional. If love is conditional it isn't love at all.

A friend of mine told me "there is no love. All the world is driven by lust. There is only like and lust." And the real truth is that we all are driven by lust. Why do we love dogs? It is only because dogs give us the attention that we want and a sense of happiness. If pets weren't submissive and didn't make us happy we would mercilessly get rid of them. So we actually don't love dogs. They love us. We love them only because they love us. This relationship can never be vice versa. We search for companions to makes our lives happy. For our satisfaction. Relationships become sour when there is an overdose of lust. When you no longer feel good, or when you are treated badly.

The love which makes us feel good isn't love at all. If you are hurt by someone saying or doing something you dint like, then what you have for the other person is not love. But when you see beyond the person's hurting words and actions you begin realising love. The moment affection becomes conditional, and changes with time, there is only lust. But is lust a bad thing? If I gave a beggar 100 rupees to make both of us feel happy. His happiness made me happy. The ugly truth is that there is an element of lust in it. But still it makes both of us happy. Lust keeps us going and happy.

When one finds the universal truth about love, you would feel a sense of freedom or thats what I can call enlightenment. You feel unconditional and light. There is a very thin line of difference between love and lust. Lust makes you feel you are happy. Love makes you really happy.

7 comments:

robinhood said...

"If love is conditional it isn't love at all."

This sums up the essence of the whole thing.
PS:- I think the idea of the bride winking at the priest during her wedding is very very phunny!!! :-))

Aravindh K said...

It doesn't seem like a random thought. It seems like a defined thought pattern that you've been having. And you have executed this very well!

Untitled said...

I think i dont agree with your thoughts on this one. Love is not about being conditional or unconditional. when you are in love, you only give without expecting any returns. I cannot explain, but i certainly dont agree. Love is magical. And about the dogs..there are so many reasons we like dogs, hows companionship for starters...

I miss my dog. lol

Frustrations Amalgamated said...

@beat99 wats lol about missin ur dog

Unknown said...

louwe u priya:D

Gayatri said...

Hmmm...seems like you have a lot of experience in love ;)...after getting married, I still feel like I haven't figured it all out...but I haven't lost hope..am trying....:)

I really like the way you have assembled your lines of thought which make this passage(at the risk of sounding preachy)a very meaningful guide...like one of the self-help books.

Kavya said...

Heya! I earnestly hope this comment finds u somewhere sometime! Where do i start?
Kishore krishnan from cognizant if u remember him? That batch owner or some absurd title that he had,
n he introduced me to ur blog after a thank u mail u sent him after passing out of cogni academy!
And the year at cognizant, bloody i hated every bit of it except for this part - ch1 blogs!
And I cant ever be much more thankful to anyone other than u for making those months bearable with ur blogs , been a fan :)
i quit my job, took up mba, life went on n then suddenly i remembered u!
N this blog post, which has been the most poignant straight forward post on love yet,
so just felt like saying a hi here ! Keep writing man!