Friday, October 08, 2010

What an Idea Sirji

Dev and Beera were best friends at school friend. Life moved on, and they parted ways like every other pair of friends in Bollywood just to meet again at the same place and same time and the same smoking zone of the same corporate.

Dev: Machan! How are you da? You studied textile engineering and you are in IT? How come you are here da? When did you join machan? Why you standing alone da? Is everything ok?

Beera: Machan I’m good Machi. I joined here six months back da. Life is very boring da machan.

Dev: Why machan? What happened da?

Beera: So boring Machan. No onsite opportunities. Same old work station, same old bike I come to office in, same old cafeteria. I want some change da.

Dev: On site opportunities? It’s just been six months since you joined da. Anyways life is like that, learn to accept it as it is.

Beera: Same old dress also I am wearing da. We wear same formal wear man. Girls are so lucky machan. They can wear so many different clothes. Salwar, Saree, trousers and what not. And now days all these girls are wearing what used to be called gym wear once upon time. And they call those leggings formal wear also. Everyone thinks they are Nadia Comăneci da.

Dev: Who’s Nadia Comăneci da? Your On-Site coordinator ah?

Beera: No machan. She was a famous gymnast da. How do they expect us to wear formal wear all five days? Its so hot here and in addition to that we need to stay in that for nine hours a day. It doesn’t suit our body. We should wear dhotis and promote Indian wear da. Dhotis and Kurtas are accepted as formals in the parliament also. I am going to write to the HR about this da.

A year later Dev and Beera meet again. This time at an air-conditioned bar in the maxim city- Mumbai.

Beera: Machan! How are you da? You got married and you are in a Bar? How come you are here da? Why you sitting alone da? Is everything ok?

Dev: Life is horrible da. No onsite opportunities. Same old work station, same old bike I go to office in, same old cafeteria, everything is same. I want some change da. Okay, you tell me machan, how are you machan? Long time no see. Where and how have you been?

Beera: I am good da. I told you last time that I was upset about the dress code policy followed in corporates, right? I did a detailed analysis and presented a case to the HR about why Dhotis should be made a part of the formal dress code. See in India our climate is humid and most of us are like bears da. The food we eat is wet and our restrooms are also wet. Dhotis are best suited for these conditions machan. Moreover they provide a free air conditioning effect throughout the day. I did a study and learnt that it prevents UTI infections also da. The HR folks were impressed and asked me to pioneer the attire change movement in corporates. Now I am the global head of the ‘Attire Alteration Management Committee’.

Dev: Wow machan. So you went onsite and all eh?

Beera: Yea machan. I just had a meeting with Ban Ki moon last week. I returned from New York yesterday machan.

Dev: Ban Ki moon is your onsite manager ah?

Beera: No da. He is the secretary general of the United Nations. We were having a discussion on understanding attire worldwide to suit the global climatic changes.

An Idea can change your life.

1 comment:

Aravindh K said...

Hilarious. I can certainly relate to the lopsided dress code! And the rousu!