Monday, December 26, 2005

something that made me wonder?????

During my visits to my aunt’s house in Mumbai, I have seen many hijras or transgendered people in the trains clapping their hands and begging for alms. Their presence always made me feel uncomfortable and sometimes even terrified me.

During one particular visit, I don’t recall when; a group of hijras approached me begging for alms. I had a firm resolve not to give them any money.
Thinking that they would not understand the language I speak I told my mother in Tamil, “They look so fit and fine can t they do more dignified jobs?”. Immediately, to my surprise one hijra shot back at me saying “ we are ready even to sweep the streets, but are you ready to employ me? Even educated people like you don’t want to employ us then how else do you expect us to survive?” my mother wanted to avoid an argument, so she immediately handed to her a five rupee note and got rid of her.

But her words made me wonder why this community is neglected and slandered in our country, which is so diverse.
A hijra’s presence is considered auspicious during weddings and childbirth, they are otherwise seen as nuisance. The society shuns them for what they are, and they are exploited both physically and financially.

The society does not accept them for what they are, so they are forced to resort to socially unacceptable professions like begging and prostitution. for example : The other day a hijra was not allowed to enter a ptc bus.

How could somebody be prevented from using the public transport ?????

It would make a big difference if we treat them as fellow human beings with kindness and just as we would treat anybody else.

On the other hand, we should restrain from giving in to their indecent and unwarranted skirt-lifting behavior by giving alms.

2 comments:

Bishwanath Ghosh said...

A very thoughtful post. But I can't believe they were not allowed to use public transport, especially because they usually force their way in, even in trains, where they hassle passengers. Often I am inclined to give them some money but I don't because of the fear that that if I take out my wallet and pull out a note, it could a Rs-500 one. And when a hijra stands menacingly in front of you, you would have no choice but to part with that money.

But it is sad that the society reduces them to be beggars. At the same time, it is also heartening to see them integrating into the mainstream: in some states such as Madhya Pradesh, they have even stood for elections and become councillors.

Bottomline: you can't blame the society alone. The hijras should also realise that they contribute more to the society other than persuading (often scaring -- by threatening to lift their sarees) people to part with money.

Anonymous said...

ur thot was certainly worth da post!n i do accept dat society definetly plays a role in discriminating them frm basic human rights but then again...the fact that they r men who appreciated the essence of womanhood n went to da extreme of becoming one is neglected!n this fact is mostly forgotten by women!they maybe be good or bad,disgraceful or respectful...the forgotten bitter truth still hinders in a rational mind dat they r humans too...